A circular economy is an economic system aimed at eliminating waste and the continual use of resources, benefitting businesses, society, and the environment. Circular systems employ re-use, sharing, repair, refurbishment, remanufacturing and recycling to create a closed-loop system, minimizing the use of resource inputs and the creation of waste, pollution and carbon emissions. This regenerative approach is in contrast to the traditional linear economy, which has a “take, make, dispose” model of production.
Building a circular economy for a low carbon future
At Scovan, innovation goes far beyond simply using technology to create efficiency. Innovation is a mindset as well and it’s at the heart of our approach and ability to plan for a circular economy and low carbon future. We have developed an Innovation Roadmap for Scovan and Gemini to assist us in understanding what the future might look like, to set targets and goals, and to guide us as we develop next steps and investments. Our goal is to create action-based solutions that enhance economic prosperity, improve environmental quality and protect the social structures that contribute to our high quality of life.
Innovation & ESG
Energy impacts everything in our world from the roads we drive on, to the the systems we have for waste disposal in our communities. From the way we power our vehicles to waste reduction in commercial manufacturing. Here are some examples below of the innovative technology we are involved with and can bring to your project.
• Energy Storage is the capture of energy produced at one time for the use at a later time to reduce imbalances between energy demand and energy production.
• With carbon capture and storage, blue hydrogen can be produced using natural gas with near-zero emissions. Green hydrogen can be produced when using renewable energy and electrolysis.
• Solvent Injection and recovery uses a byproduct of natural gas, added to the steam that’s injected into the reservoir, thinning the oil and allowing it to flow more freely to the producing well.
• Zero Emission Bitumen Production using Radio Frequency energy to create heat and mobilize heavy oil and bitumen.
• HIPVAP generates steam from produced water for reuse within the system. This new tech is being piloted by Scovan and is set to deliver transformative change to the SAGD industry.
• Cogeneration is a process of generating two or more forms of energy from a single fuel source such as heat and electricity with a turbine engine in a SAGD facility.
• Waste heat recovery is the use of surplus heat that has been produced, for example from a gas turbine, that is reused to improve the overall efficiency of an operation such as SAGD.
• Direct Lithium Extraction from existing Alberta wells using existing resources and skill sets to produce high purity, battery grade, lithium products that will fuel the electrification of vehicles.
• Net zero manufacturing. Gemini Fabrication is reducing waste, recycling and reusing materials while targeting net zero emissions.
• Renewable natural gas is created from outputs of an anaerobic digestor. Taking organic waste, animal waste, and specific energy crops through a controlled biological process to easily recycle them back into sustainable energy and fertilizer.
• Biomass takes plant or animal material such as cow manure, wood or waste from farms and uses it as fuel to produce electricity or heat.
• Microgrids are selfsufficient energy systems that serve a geographic area, such as a college campus, hospital complex, or neighborhood. One or more kinds of distributed energy sources are used such as solar panels, wind turbines or geothermal.
• Geothermal Energy uses the earth’s natural heat resource to generate power and heat. A 20MW Geothermal power facility can generate power for 20,000 homes in our communities.
• Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning works to optimize energy and industrial operations.
Addressing the Social aspect of ESG through measuring the sustainability and social impact of an organization or business. We look to the diversity in, support of and impact on our local, national, Indigenous and workforce communities. Each aspect of our economy has the ability to impact the way in which we consume and live and therefore our future. Creating sustainable relationships with community is the goal.
Contact Scovan to see how we can bring these principles and focus on ESG to your project.